Emergency Employee Surveys in Response to COVID-19 [Including Template]
Given the rapid changes in the work environment due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, leaders need to gather information and feedback and respond faster than ever before. Here we discuss employee surveys as another tool in the manager's communication toolkit.
State of the COVID-19 Pandemic
The coronavirus outbreak that originated in Wuhan, China has sickened hundreds of thousands of people and thousands have died. Governments have shut borders and imposed lockdowns, and companies have imposed travel bans.
During this time it’s important to get your facts from the right organisations as there is a lot of noise and fake news spreading panic across the internet. Here are some great reliable links:
- The World Health Organisation Coronavirus Page
- Local Government pages:
Formulating a Response
If you haven’t formulated a response as a management team yet, then it’s best to do that first as it could impact the questions you ask. You need to make decisions that support your staff and your business while complying with lockdowns, quarantines, etc imposed by the local government.
HBR has written a great article on the matter: Questions employers should ask about the coronavirus
It poses the following 8 questions that you should ask yourself about your organisation:
- How can we best protect our employees from exposure in the workplace?
- When should we exclude workers or visitors from the workspace?
- Should we revise our benefits policies in cases where employees are barred from the worksite or we close it?
- Have we maximized employees’ ability to work remotely?
- Do we have reliable systems for real-time public health communication with employees?
- Should we revise our policies around international and domestic business travel?
- Should we postpone or cancel scheduled conferences or meetings?
- Are supervisors adequately trained?
Running a Survey (+ Template)
We’ve compiled questions on google sheets that you can reach here: Roslin COVID-19 Template Questions. Some examples are:
- What is your single greatest work-related concern right now?
- I feel safe performing my duties during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- We are adapting well to changes in work conditions. (i.e. remote work)
You can easily run this survey on one of the many free survey platforms. We’ve also previously written a guide on how to Run a Survey Using Google Forms.
Alternatively, you can run your survey on our platform. To do so, simply start the signup process by clicking the button above. In response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we’re making the platform free for all new customers for the months of March and April 2020. Please contact us if you need assistance.
Only ask questions you can act on otherwise your engagement with staff will drop.
Communicate, Communicate, Communicate! Clear and timely communication is what is needed during a crisis like this. Explain why you're running the survey, explain what you intended to do with the data and explain how you expect things to change.
Good luck and stay safe!